Questionable Motifs

“Have you got any soul?" you ask. That depends,I feel like saying;some days yes, some days no.A few days ago I was right out;now I've got loads,too much,more than I can handle.I wish I could spread it a bit more evenly,I can see you wouldn't be interested in my internal stock control problems,so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have,right in the archives, just next to the blues..where you will also find some folk,bluegrass,a wee bit ‘o jazz and of course good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll

May 24, 2006

The Clown Princes of Rock 'n' Roll

Now, I haven't given my punting skills a fair try of late, but am willing to bet that you would have a few tapes tucked away in the attic, amassing its thirteenth layer of dust, cobwebs and for all you know, producing diminutive organisms of some new kind. These tapes probably holds the key to a significant part of your childhood, which is etched far down in the regresses of your memory. Most of my formative years were spent trying to sneak some access to a contraption of a deck, proclaimed to be the sole property of my big burly older brother. Hands have been slapped away and many a kickboxing matches have been fought for this cause, which apart from having the selfish motto of inculculating a "don't-take-your-kid-sister-for-granted" message in my brother, also had an altruistic factor of kneading some good music taste to the family, otherwise overwhelmingly obsessed with shoddy southern musicals. Those few times, when such good intentions have triumphed (mostly due to the easy effort of conjuring up wicked stories about my uncaring sibling , while welling up a few crocodile tears in front of my parents) have been spent in rewinding tracks which, while giving you well-rounded introductions to some amazing bands, also let you be what you are - a wide-eyed kid enchanted with the sound of rock n' roll.

A couple of such F.U.N tracks are - "Boris the Spider" - from the The Who's second studio album - A Quick One (This was also the first track penned by John Entwistle for the band) , "The Gnome" from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn by the incomparable Syd Barrett-led Pink Floyd (In fact, there are other tracks such as Bike, The Scarecrow etc which can be added to this list!).
And to a certain extent, there was also a fun element to the strange " I am the Walrus" from the Magical Mystery Tour album of the Beatles . Now..I did not come across, "Charlie Brown" by Carl Gardner and the Coasters till a year or two back, but I don't need the entire ensemble of pigtails and the bicycles mounted with flower baskets (for the record, both these did NOT form part of my childhood!!) etc to enjoy a track like this :) And I am guessing, you don't need those things too! (Unless you happen to be 12 and you are a girl - then maybe you should consider it. I am sure you already have - what with all the peer pressure and all;))

Yeeenyway, here is a link to sample this track. The site automatically plays this track and you also have an option of downloading the sample. If you haven't heard these "clown princes of rock 'n' roll"….then...

You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
Yakety yak (don't talk back)...
yakety yak


NP : Tim Dooley by The Kingston Trio (1958)

1 Comments:

At June 02, 2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Arjun Bala said...

"an altruistic factor of kneading some good music taste to the family"


whoa..what tracks/bands did you manage to convice the family to listen to? If i play 'the gnome' to my family..they'll surely take me to a counsellor accusing me of taking drugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home