Questionable Motifs

“Have you got any soul?" you ask. That depends,I feel like saying;some days yes, some days no.A few days ago I was right out;now I've got loads,too much,more than I can handle.I wish I could spread it a bit more evenly,I can see you wouldn't be interested in my internal stock control problems,so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have,right in the archives, just next to the blues..where you will also find some folk,bluegrass,a wee bit ‘o jazz and of course good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll

March 07, 2007

Prog - Italian Style!

The Soulforged’s earlier post possibly was the much needed push towards my introduction and current fascination towards Italian Progressive Music. Premiata Forneria Marconi, Le Orme, Metamorfosi, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Museo Rosenbach, Locanda Delle Fate, Quella Vecchia Locanda – the names might be quite a mouthful, but heck they have made some of the most brilliant music I have heard! Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM), arguably the most popular of the lot, is touted as one of the most influential bands of the golden years of Progressive Rock (the 70’s but of course), alongside the likes of King Crimson, Gentle Giant, VDDG et al. If I have manage to tickle your curiosity enough, I would recommend that you start with one of PFM’s albums. While most of the bands sing in Italian, there are a few English language albums, which are essentially remakes of their successful Italian albums.

I must say I still haven’t dug deep into this genre, but out of the ones I have listened, I have listed down what I believe to be some of the phenomenal albums of this very important subsection in the history of Prog. If checking out ALL of them might be a stretch, at least sample a few. Yes, yes , I might be a tad biased towards the Italians (thanks to their food, their art, some of their films and of course Roberto Baggio), trust me when I say this – È eccellente!


1. Album : Storia Di Un Minuto
Band: Premiata Forneria Marconi
Year of Release: 1972

The beauty of this album much like most of the earlier albums of PFM, is its timelessness.The sheer brilliance of the instrumental set-ups, the melody structure and the harmonic arrangements DEFINES symphonic prog for me. It’s hard to escape the magic that is this album, whether it is the addictive riff for a backbone of E’Festa should probably go down or the chorus portion of the latter half of Impressioni Di Septembre.

Favorite Track(s) : Dove…Quando - Part 1 and Part 2.

2. Album : Collage
Band : Le Orme
Year of Release – 1971


This album would probably not figure in the list of the best Italian Prog albums, with their equally brilliant effort, Felona E Sorona usurping the place instead and I sometimes wonder why. Each track is a definite master-piece, IMO, with some very innovative song structures and authoritative instrumental passages. Le Orme might not be as melodic as PFM is, but I quite adore the theatrical style of their compositions which can totally overpower your senses.
And a special mention, Collage, the opening track ranks in my great opening tracks of great albums list!

Favorite Track(s): Collage, Era Inverno, Cemento Armato

3. Album: Darwin!
Band: Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
Year of Release : 1972


I don’t know about you, but I find that Exclamation Mark at the end of the album name very thrilling!! A Concept album, based on the theory of evolution (presumably), this epic album starts with the landmark composition called L'Evoluzione. All of more than 16 minutes in length, this would definitely have to end up in the best opening tracks list. What distinguishes these guys is the distinctive and dramatic vocals of Francesco Di Giacomo and the multitude of variance that the tempos of their tracks offer. Also, their tracks can be as much classical as it is futuristic.
Favorite Track(s) : L’Evoluzione, Cento Mani, Cento Occhi


4. Album : Inferno
Band: Metamorfosi
Year of Release: 1972

Normally, these guys don’t feature in the first names that come up to any one’s mind when asked to talk about Italian Prog. But Inferno is a concept album par- excellence. Heavy on the emphasis of the synthesizers and keys for its sound, it reminds me much of a brain-storming session – It’s no-holds-barred, it’s engaging and it is very non-conforming.

Favorite Track(s): Caronte

5. Album: Forse le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più
Band : Locanda Delle Fate
Year of Release: 1978

A relatively late entrant to the 70’s Italian Prog force, Locanda Delle Fate might not be ranked alongside PFM and Le Orme kinds for shaping Italian symphonic prog. Because of that fact, they probably might not have the most original of sounds. But what is noticeable is their extensive use of instruments, often packed together and backed by some excellent percussion elements.
Favorite Track(s): Volte un Istante Di Quiete, Profumo Di Colla Bianca

6. Album: Per Un Amico
Band: Premiata Forneria Marconi
Year of Release: 1972


It’s only fitting that the biggest of ‘em all have two favorites – although it’s been pretty hard to narrow it down to just two! ‘Per Un Amico’, or its English version – Photos of Ghosts is a fantastic journey from start to finish. A fairly small album, it starts with the wonderfully surprising Appena Un Poco armed to the brim with some of the most characteristically PFM-ish sounds. Both Storia… and this album were released in the same year, and Per Un Amico just serves to accentuate the quality of the band’s music.

Favorite Track(s), Appena Un Poco, Il Banchetto


There are a few other albums that I also like, such as Moseo Rosenbach’s Zarathustra, Quella Vecchia Locanda's Il tempo Della Gioia, L'uovo Di Colombo’s self titled album, Le Orme’s Felona E Sorona and a few other PFM stuff – and who knows how many more as I start discovering more. But I think I have made my point already!

Until it’s time for the next post…well, what else but...Ciao!
P.S: I have no clue how to pronounce all these beautiful sounding words! :D

3 Comments:

At March 21, 2007 9:54 AM, Blogger The Soulforged said...

I want PFM!!!

 
At March 21, 2007 6:59 PM, Blogger K. said...

You want it... You got it, mister! (Coming soon to a postbox near you ;))

 
At March 23, 2007 9:29 AM, Blogger The Soulforged said...

Waiting... to be born again

Wanting... the saddest kind of pain Waiting for the day when I will crawl away

Nothing is what I feel Waiting... for the drugs to make it real Waiting... for the day when I will crawl away

 

Post a Comment

<< Home