Questionable Motifs

“Have you got any soul?" you ask. That depends,I feel like saying;some days yes, some days no.A few days ago I was right out;now I've got loads,too much,more than I can handle.I wish I could spread it a bit more evenly,I can see you wouldn't be interested in my internal stock control problems,so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have,right in the archives, just next to the blues..where you will also find some folk,bluegrass,a wee bit ‘o jazz and of course good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll

September 19, 2006

The Last Kiss - Original Soundtrack



Best Sequel to a fantastic soundtrack would probably never become a category in itself at any so-called music award show... Which possibly explains why I can only think of two contenders for this category as of now. In any case, I was looking forward more to the music of Last Kiss more than the movie itself and this became an unquenchable thirst when I saw the trailer of the movie which was accompanied by Snow Patrol's Chocolate in the background.

I did manage to dig deep to find the OST and it hasn't exactly disappointed. The initial impression is that almost all tracks and the mood set by them seem more mature, for a lack of a want of a better word....This probably is a necessity considering the subject matter of the movie deals with an impending "the big 3-0" crisis, from the looks of it. Toned-down but not solemn, interesting but not over-the-top, the selection of artistes who are part of this follow-up is very similar... (In fact lots of artistes who were part of the Garden State OST find themselves getting the nod again)....

Of course, I had to admit, my impression of this album was already colored before I gave the album the first spin...Any man who chooses to host Imogen Heap twice in two consecutive compiled soundtrack would make very little mistakes otherwise, I guess!

A full blown review would not be justifiable at this juncture on my part....The most important ingredient for the full experience to sink in is still at large...The movie itself..Think about it, if I bother to analyze the tracks without having watched the movie, the soundtrack might as well be some compilation album!

Tracklisting

1. Chocolate - Snow Patrol
2. Star Mile - Joshua Radin
3. Pain Killer - Turin Brakes
4. Warning Sign - Coldplay
5. Ride - Cary Brothers
6. El Salvador - Athlete
7. Hide And Seek - Imogen Heap
8. Reason Why - Rachael Yamagata
9. Hold You In My Arms - Ray LaMontagne
10. Prophecy - Remy Zero
11. Paper Bag - Fiona Apple
12. Today's The Day - Aimee Mann
13. Arms of a Woman - Amos Lee
14. Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk (Reprise) - Rufus Wainwright
15. Paperweight - Joshua Radin and Schuyler Fisk


I have hosted the Snow Patrol in the tracklist. Give it a listen and go get yourself the album!

2 Comments:

At September 22, 2006 4:51 PM, Blogger Arjun Bala said...

which other Sequel to a fantastic soundtrack would be a contender according to you?

 
At September 26, 2006 3:27 PM, Blogger K. said...

Sofia Coppola's creations but of course...Lost in Translation as a sequel to Virgin Suicides..

IMO, the sequel was even better,both the movie and the soundtrack...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home