Questionable Motifs

“Have you got any soul?" you ask. That depends,I feel like saying;some days yes, some days no.A few days ago I was right out;now I've got loads,too much,more than I can handle.I wish I could spread it a bit more evenly,I can see you wouldn't be interested in my internal stock control problems,so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have,right in the archives, just next to the blues..where you will also find some folk,bluegrass,a wee bit ‘o jazz and of course good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll

February 23, 2007

Soaring to New Depths

Just when you thought that Indian commercial music industry has reached its nadir, they surprise you by plumbing even deeper.

A year or so, a song was doing raging rounds of the netfarers’ mailboxes. The song titled BC Sutta. The BC here stands for the ubiquitous gaali referring to incestuous relationship with one's sister :) It was composed by a band called ‘Zeest’, part of the underground music scene in Pakistan. It was, and still is a cult song. I'm sure most of you would have heard it at least once.

Cut to present. I was surfing through the channels last night and stumbled upon this promo for yet another Indipoop (no mistake here) album. This one was called 'Sutta Mix'. The song, Don't Smoke Sutta, was note for note a copy of the BC song with a shot of the dhik-chik steroid and accompanied by a ribald video featuring Meghna Naidu and other dancers dressed as Arabs for some reason (what's it got to do with sutta???).

The band was neither a party to this remix nor were they asked before this tripe was cooked. Knowing the highly evolved copyright laws of the land, the original songsters can only wring their hands in frustration and compose a few more MC/BC songs. Hopefully this time the subject of the songs would be these pathetic plagiarists.

Its a crying shame! Lifting popular international tunes or rehashing hits of yore was bad enough, but now this!. What will it be next? a remix of my school prayer?

Download the ORIGINAL Sutta song here

Check out what the band has to say about this.

Zeest Official Site

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2007 8:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

umm the official site of zeest is now:

http://www.zeestmania.com/

you can confirm that from skip!

 
At February 25, 2007 10:01 PM, Blogger The Soulforged said...

cool...link added...

 
At February 28, 2007 12:01 PM, Blogger Madhavi Ghare said...

I agree with you all the way dude!

That woman ought to be taken to the court for plagarism and all that!

Ok so she wanted to do a "message" song - so why copy the tune of our anthem! Couldn't she at least be original while she is at it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home